Friday, October 29, 2010

Living la vida loca

So, after many a day and night of squeezing the proverbial lid shut on my super duper news, I feel the need to burst through the doors of excitement and scream at the top of my lungs…

Voy a América del Sur, bebé!

FYI: Google says that that means ‘I’m going to South America, baby!’

*Surprise

*Cue: castanets (I know that's Spanish as in Spain but they speak Spanish in South America so anyway), Mexican party hats, tango dancing and Rio Carnivals. Can you hear the music?!?

I can just about see myself walking through the streets of Buenos Aires in search of a tango dancing lesson complete with a Diego Somebody – my imagination says he looks like Luc a la Brothers and Sisters thrown in with a bit of Antonia Banderas’ sex appeal…mmm, yummy…and I’m never coming home!

It all started one day when a friend of mine mentioned her travels and the adventurous voice inside of me screamed ‘GO…GO…GO’! And with a little bit of research and emails going back and forth re: where the hell are we going to sleep and what brand of shoe should I buy…I have finally leaped into the adventurous unknown and am swopping my career-girl stilettos for 1X pair of hiking tekkies…temporarily of course!

The parental unit look back at me with raised eyebrows every time I mention it, I mirror their disapproval with ‘why the hell not?!?’

I’m 26 years old…completely unattached and with no responsibilities in the world (except for my kitty cat, car bills, phone bills, medical aid bills and and and)…why the heck should I sit in an office day in and day out dreading the likes of awful traffic EVERY morning? Before I know it, I’ll be eaten alive by Bridget Jones’ Alsatians and life will have whizzed by at the speed of ‘nobody can even remember’! The dad is worried about safety, bar this and he’s excited about the prospects – wonder if he knows my prospecting stems to luscious lips, thick curly dark hair, deep chocolatey brown eyes and a libido that even Dirk Diggler would be jealous of...now that would be livin' la vida loca, right?!? The mom on the other hand, would have kept me locked tight in her womb had she been given the chance! She hates to see her offspring wonder the world without a clue in sight.

But then again, I’m their daughter and if they were normal I wouldn’t be making such a risqué leap. I mean, my folks are rockers for goodness sake…they even dabbled in hippiedom for a while…these people led the risk revolution back in the heyday of Springs (Gauteng)! Me, going to South America is a walk in the park in comparison!

So right now, I’m planning the smallest of details…right down to:

What size backpack (and make) to use. Did you know that you get 50L, 65L and 80L packs. Apparently the 80L can take up to 80kgs –my question to the salesman was ‘what the hell would anyone want to carry that amount of weight on their back for?!?’ I think he thought I was a moron…what with my pretty little summery dress, make up, perfectly in place hairdo and cutsie little fashionable sandals!

Brands of tekkies – Apparently your backpack size and weight effects the sole/ rubber of the shoe so you have to take this all into consideration before you even buy the damn things! And here I was thinking about colour matching and looking all girly what with the purple/ safari green backpack and pink themed hiking boots…now I have to think about practicalities…ohemgee! I’ve already broken a sweat just thinking about it again!

Next are shots…I need to have shots for Yellow Fever, Hep B, Rabies (because I’m going to be working on animal projects in the Amazon potentiall…yay me!) and possibly for one or two other weird jungle type diseases. So when do I mention that I hate needles?!?’

There is just so much to do it’s far too exciting for words…and every time I have to do them I take a step in the direction of South America. We start in Cusco, Peru on the Inca Trail, for now at least! And of course more wonderful tales and imaginary escapades will be shared before and during my jungle-ridden, party-driven, wine-infested adventures! I intend to write, write, write about everything!

More to follow!

Have a wonderful weekend y’all…think big, do big and be great!

Oh, and one more thing…go PROVINCE! Come on boys!!!

Over & out


KaB

No comments:

Post a Comment